Friday, November 29, 2013

The Common Core and I Can Statements

As teachers, we always have a plan of what we want students to achieve in the classroom.  Teachers and content are dynamic, changing to meet student learning needs.  One change coming to our school this year is the incorporation of displaying student learning objectives in language students can understand.  A popular method for displaying student learning objectives is I Can Statements.  I Can Statements have been around from at least 1985, and even before then though the jargon used for them may not have been the same.  The idea of the I Can Statement is to provide students with a map of what they will be able to do at the end of a lesson, unit, or focus of study.  

Below are links to a few resources about I Can Statements and using them in the classroom:  

How to Make "I Can" Statements Work for Your Classroom 

9th and 10th Grade Language Arts Common Core I Can Statements from Darke County ESC  

11th and 12th Grade Language Arts Common Core I Can Statements from Darke County ESC 


No comments:

Post a Comment